Louder Than Hunger Louder Than Hunger by John Schu
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Exceptional Book in Verse to describe the feelings of a teen battling anorexia nervosa in the 90s. I especially connected with the musical theater references which lightened up the heavy subject matter quite a bit. This is a book for a kid who wants to FEEL. Or an older teen adult who wants to know what a friend or child might be thinking. As a Librarian, I would want a student who I suspect might be suffering from this to self select it. Or it might show up in a carefully selected book talk where they are present. The end notes by John to remind readers that in patient treatment in 2024 looks different than 30 years ago, but ya’ll those recurring thoughts and effects from this crippling condition are exactly the same. 

Having never experienced anything like this, it was a beautifully written window into a beautiful mind. I listened to this audio, but seeing the text laid in artful patterns on the pages make me think the repetition and urgency of subject would be fantastic to read in this way, too. 

Highly recommend, but trigger warning for eating disorder and recent loss of a loved one.


View all my reviews